Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!Register Login
Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
You Might Also Like
BREAKING!!! Pandemonium, Residents on The Run, ‘Many Houses’ On Fire As B/Haram Hits Chibok; Many Feared Dead (Happening Now)
Suspected Boko Haram terrorists have attacked Korongilum, a community in Chibok local government area of Borno state, Igbere TV has learnt.
According to a resident, the terrorists came into the community around 6pm, shooting sporadically and setting many houses on fire.
“People were just returning to their houses from the farm when the insurgents came in,” the resident said.
“They came in through Forfor, and our people are running for safety as we speak.”
A military source said troops from the Nigerian Army’s 28 task force brigade and 117 battalion, both headquartered in Chibok, are already on their way to Korongilum.
“In fact, the brigade and the battalion commanders are the ones leading soldiers to the attack,” the source said.
More details soon……
Recent reports from Maiduguri indicate that there have been fresh attacks by Boko Haram attackers on residents of Jiddari Polo in Maiduguri.
They launched the attack some few hours after the president, President Muhammadu Buhari paid a condolence visit to the people of the state over the recent killing of 30 persons.
A resident confirmed the report to TheCable that these attackers have been shooting for over 30 minutes.
“We are under serious attack right now. Boko Haram stormed the town hours after the president left,” the resident stated.
Some residents of Borno state booed President Muhammadu Buhari during his visit to the area to offer condolences to the victims of the latest Boko Haram attack in the state.
According to reports, as the convoy of the president made its way, some residents shouted in Hausa: “Bama so!” “Bamayi!”, which translates to “We don’t want; we’re not interested.”
Borno is a stronghold of the president. During his previous visits to the state, crowds lined up on the streets, chanting “Sai baba!”
Reporting on the hostile reception that Buhari got on Wednesday, a Twitter user wrote;
Watch the video below;
The Borno State Government has said about 1,400 repentant Boko Haram suspects have been released by the military and rehabilitated into society.
The Borno State Commissioner for Information, Babakura Jato, told The PUNCH during an interview on Monday that 1, 400 had been released in three tranches since the ‘Operation Safe Corridor’ programme began.
The PUNCH reports that although the programme began in 2016, it wasn’t until 2018 that the release of the suspects began.
Jato said most of the persons released were not actually Boko Haram members but were relatives of terrorists or persons found in the wrong place at the wrong time.
The commissioner said, “There have been a series of releases. They were released in three tranches. The first set was released during Governor Shettima’s time while two sets have been released under Prof. Zulum.
“The total number of persons released is 1,400. Out of the 1,400, the majority of them are cleared suspects. These were people who were suspected of being members of Boko Haram and it was discovered that they were not.
“The rest are children of Boko Haram or actual Boko Haram members. I cannot give you a breakdown of the figure now for security reasons.”
The government’s spokesman said he was aware of allegations that some of those released had gone back to terrorism but argued that most of these allegations were mere speculations.
Jato said after the training, they were handed over to the Borno State Government for proper integration into their communities.
He stated that if any person was rejected by his community for being a former Boko Haram member, the government would resettle that person.
When asked if there were recorded cases of someone going back to join Boko Haram, he said, “I have not heard of that but we have had cases whereby people in the community rejected them. So, they return to the rehab centres and we change their location.”
Meanwhile, the President, Military Widows Association, Mrs Vera Aloko, has expressed satisfaction with the Operation Safe Corridor programme.
Aloko said military widows would support anything that would restore peace.
She said, “It is true that our Vice-President, Mrs Idith Opesanmi, faulted the Federal Government’s decision to release more repentant Boko Haram members. However, she spoke in her personal capacity and not for all military widows. We support the government and any policy that can restore peace.”
President Muhammadu Buhari has assured all children, as well as adults, held hostage by terrorists and other criminals in Nigeria will be freed.
President Buhari gave the assurance on Monday at a breakfast dialogue with the theme: ‘Stop the war on children affected by Armed Conflicts, Dividend of Silencing the Guns’, on the sidelines of the ongoing 33rd African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
The programme was co-sponsored by the governments of Nigeria, Uganda and Norway, the AU Commission and Save the Children.
The President also charged AU Peace and Security Council to energetically champion the strategy to stop the war on children and adopt the Child Protection Architecture within the African Peace and Security Architecture and the Road map on Silencing the Guns.
A statement issued by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu, stated Buhari assured his administration is committed to get all kidnapped child, male and male, out of terrorists’ captivity.
Speaking of the situation in the North-Eastern part of Nigeria, President Buhari said ”a number of school girls from Chibok and Dapchi earlier abducted by Boko Haram have regained their freedom.
”We commend the gallant efforts of the MultiNational Joint Task Force and the partners in supporting the reintegration of the girls.
”Let me categorically reassure you of the steadfast commitment of the Government of Nigeria to ensure the freedom of all kidnapped children from the shackles of Boko Haram.
”We will not relent until every child, boy, or girl, every Nigerian adult in custody of Boko Haram, is freed!.”
The President urged African countries and stakeholders on the continent to work fervently towards strengthening the protection of children from the six grave violations during armed conflict.
The six grave violations are killing and maiming of children, recruitment or use of children as soldiers, sexual violence against children, abduction of children, attacks against schools or hospitals and denial of humanitarian access for children.
President Buhari expressed concern that these grave violations against children have continued unabated.
”It is for this reason that the Nigerian government has severally condemned, and is combating frontally the dreadful activities of terrorist groups like Boko Haram and the so-called Islamic State.
”Of course, the severity of these grave violations varies from country to country.
”The incidence of a single violation of children rights in any country is an indelible dent on the African consciousness and is to be deplored and condemned,” he said.
Reminding AU Member States of their commitments to protecting children affected by armed conflicts in Africa, President Buhari reaffirmed Nigeria’s commitment to the protection of children in armed conflict zones.
He also used the occasion to outline some concrete measures taken by Nigeria towards tackling the root causes of child soldiers and the misfortune of out-of-school children.
”To stem the tide of out-of-school children Nigeria embarked on an all-inclusive reconstruction of schools vandalized by the ravaging terrorist activities of Boko Haram, while returning children are rehabilitated and reintegrated into society.
”Our Nomadic Education policy is also being implemented to reduce the number of out-of-school children. We have also prioritized de-radicalisation and demobilisation of ex-combatant children of Boko Haram insurgents,” President Buhari said.
Charging the continent on protecting children against the abuses of wars and conflicts, the Nigerian leader said ”the call to action is now for accountability by all African States to the rights of the children caught up in wars.
”Let us stop the war on children. This is a wake-up call for us all to create the enabling environment for rooting out the impact of armed conflicts against our children across the continent,” he said.