Application Deadline: February 1st, 2023
The Harry Frank Guggenheim Emerging Scholar Awards (formerly the Harry Frank Guggenheim Dissertation Fellowships) recognize promising graduate-student researchers in their final year of writing a doctoral dissertation examining a salient aspect of violence.
The Foundation welcomes proposals from any of the natural and social sciences or allied disciplines that promise to increase understanding of the causes, manifestations, and control of violence and aggression. Highest priority is given to research that addresses urgent, present-day problems of violence—what produces it, how it operates, and what prevents or reduces it.
The Foundation is interested in violence related to many subjects, including, but not limited to, the following:
- Family and intimate-partner relationships
- Climate instability and natural resource competition
- Racial, ethnic, and religious conflict
- Political extremism and nationalism
- Applicants for an award must be Ph.D. candidates entering the dissertation stage of graduate study. Usually, this means that fieldwork or other research is complete and writing has begun or will at the beginning of the award period. If analysis and writing are not far enough along for an applicant to be confident that the dissertation will be completed within the award year, an application should not be submitted. In some disciplines, particularly experimental fields, research and writing can reasonably be expected to be completed within the same year, and in those cases, it is appropriate to apply.
The Emerging Scholar Awards
- The award is $25,000 for one year and contributes to the support of a doctoral candidate to enable the completion of a dissertation that advances the Foundation’s research interests described above in a timely manner. They are available only to students for support during the final year of Ph.D. studies.
- The award does not support doctoral research.
- Applicants may be citizens of any country and studying at colleges or universities in any country.
- Candidates for the Harry Frank Guggenheim Emerging Scholar Awards may apply online annually between November 1 and February 1.
- Applicants must create an account to access the application and guidelines.
- The guidelines are also available through the second link below.
Online Application (Login required)
Application Guidelines (PDF)
For More Information: