9jaonline Forum

Welcome to 9jaonline Forum

Welcome to 9jaonline Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of 9jaonline Forum by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Dan Matakaya Mwaka: Wife bathed him with acid, electrocuted him

Envy
Followers 1

• Administrators

Dan Matakaya Mwaka was fast asleep when his wife poured sulfuric acid solution on his face, and also made sure the water on the floor in his room was electrified.

Dan-Matakaya-Mwaka-Wife-bathed-him-with-acid-electrocuted-him-lailasnews-4-600x328.jpg

Dan Matakaya Mwaka: Wife bathed him with acid, electrocuted him

The inspector Matakaya who was a police officer in Kisii before the sad day of the incident in September 21 2013, never knew that would be the beginning of his sojourn into utter darkness as he eventually lost his sight from the acid attack.

“After she poured acid on me, I tried to reach out for water but she had poured water on the floor and connected power. She wanted me to be electrocuted. I screamed for help and my neighbors took me to hospital,” he told BBC in a 2019 interview

“I was given First Aid. My face was washed and I began seeing. The pain was so severe in my legs I struggled to walk. They tried to give me painkillers but there was no change,” he told the British broadcaster.

Dan-Matakaya-Mwaka-Wife-bathed-him-with-acid-electrocuted-him-lailasnews-273x410.jpg

After two days he was transferred to Kakamega County Hospital.

“In Kakamega hospital I stayed for two days then I was referred to Kenyatta National Hospital for advanced treatment,” Matakaya said.

He lost his sight during the process of hospital transfers.

“Apparently, the acid continued to work on my eyes even after and it made me go blind. If we had known better we would have kept pouring water into my eyes to dilute the acid and I wouldn’t have lost my sight.”

He said the doctors did grafting, removed tissues from other parts of the body for the burns to heal from inside.

Dan-Matakaya-Mwaka-Wife-bathed-him-with-acid-electrocuted-him-lailasnews-2-412x410.jpg

The surgeries stabilized his condition but he was not fully healed.

The story of Inspector Matakaya is not a new one, but it is just getting media attention in the wake of increase in domestic violence in several homes across Africa.